In the story you have seen that D didn’t really listen to Pablo, about the plans of becoming a nurse. But when the girls were listening to Pablo, suddenly he listened.
There is a big difference between active listening and passive listening. Take some time to experience the difference between active listening and passive listening.
Practice active listening by doing the following:
- Look at the person, and leave other things you are doing.
- Listen not only to the words, but what the person is feeling.
- Be sincerely interested in what the other person is talking about.
- Restate what the person said.
- Ask clarification questions once in a while, to make sure you understand.
- Be aware of your own feelings and any strong opinions.
- If you have to state your views, say them only after you have listened to the other.
You can also show your interest by non-verbal communication, such as:
- Good eye contact.
- Facial expressions.
You can also ask a friend or a family member to try these tips when you tell them a story.
Topics you can discuss when talking with each other are:
- Something you have done in your life and are proud of.
- Something you like about yourself.
- A dream you have that you are working on to fulfill.
- Something you have learnt in your life that is important to you.
Notice how good it feels when you give another your undivided attention and how good it feels when others do the same for you.